Thursday, June 18, 2009

Update from Nadia

June 18th, 2009

Julia finished her last chemo of cycle 2 today. There are only 4 more cycles to go. I am extremely happy to report that the doctors are very pleased with Julia clinically. She is eating well, and has even gained weight. Her blood work on Tuesday was almost perfect. I can not remember the last time it was that good (over a year). She is handling her chemo very well, despite being told that she won’t be well and her blood counts would bottom out on day 10-14 after her last chemo. For those of you who now Julia she never follows the book. She seems to do well when doctors don’t expect her to, and not well when she should. As we move through the cycles the chemo will have a harder impact on her.

Tomorrow is a big day. She is having a PET scan to determine how well the treatment is working. We need a clear scan tomorrow in order to move forward. Julia will receive a nuclear medicine 1 hour prior to the scan, she will then go under a general anesthetic and have her scan. The scan takes about 1 – 1.5 hours. After the scan she will go to recovery. The scan will show if there are any areas of over activity, which would be suspicious for cancer cells. We were told to page the doctor after the scan for immediate results, so as you can imagine I’m a little nervous. I ask that you all say a prayer for tomorrows scan.

I would like to apologize for not keeping in touch or returning phone calls sometimes, but this has been and continues to be a very challenging time for us. I have good days and bad, and quite honestly I need all my energy to focus on Julia. Juggling all the hospital days with Julia and trying to keep a somewhat normal life for Anthony and Emily has been exhausting.

It’s been a long day, and it will be an even longer day tomorrow so this is all for now. I do want to thank everyone for your support and please know that I am extremely grateful.

Sincerely,

Nadia

No comments: